This past week I’ve been concentrating on revising. It’s hard! I makes me want to bang my head on my desk! It makes me tired! Every time I sit down to revise some more I suddenly feel the urge to take a nap.
But when I finally do sit down and actually start working on things, here’s what I’m thinking:
*tightening things up, think of your story like a tightrope… if it sags, the bookmark goes in and the reader stops.
* limit descriptions, use only when necessary
* use only the most essential scenes.. only the ones that push you to the climax
* eliminate redundancy… say it clearly and then move on
* use precise verbs… walking vs. sauntering for example
* write with active voice… get rid of all the WAS words
* think of chapter endings that tempt the reader to keep reading
Showing vs. Telling!
* get rid of these words: see, hear, feel, know, remember, think, is/was, wonder, thought, look, saw, imagine, guess. They are all telling words not showing words.
Oh, the other thing I’ve been doing a lot of… getting read of lots of saids… and just using body language and action instead. I forget what’s that called, but it has a name. I can’t even tell you how many places I have where this is needing to be fixed!